Subject: Re: Surfacing advice requested
From: Jim Phillips <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 07:53:29 -0700

>2. If I was to create the hull pattern using polygons, I have no idea how I
>would apply the other ship markings on top of these polys. As far as I know,
>you cannot create an "additive" surface (ie, have multiple surfaces on top
>of one another). For example, if I've created the hull pattern using polys,
>how do I apply the big NCC-1701 on the top of the hull? I can't use an
>imagemap because if I do, I'll lose my hull pattern.
>
"Stencil" the letters and numbers into the hull surface.   Create the
"NCC-1701" and place it in the background layer.   Place the ship in the
foreground layer.  Position the two with respect to each other.
Select just the polygons that cover the area to be stencilled.  Go to Tools,
Drill, Stencil.    

You may want to stretch the letters/numbers vertically to allow for the
deformation caused by the curved hull.  

Hope this helps.
Jim Phillips   
[email-masked]
LW / DEC ALPHA / PVR / Photoshop